Work Permit Outside Canada

Applications – Work Permit outside Canada

To apply for a work permit from outside Canada, you must submit the following documents:

  • a job offer from a Canadian employer
  • a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and
  • written confirmation from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion
  • In most cases, it is up to your employer to get that written confirmation
  • In some cases, you do not need a labour market opinion

You must also do the following:

  • Satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit
  • Show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada
  • Respect the law and have no criminal record. (You may have to provide a police clearance certificate. See Police Certificates for more information
  • Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada
  • Be in good health. (You may have to have a medical examination.)

For more information register to access live support or submit a request via our contact form.