Visitor Visa Extention

Applications – Visitor Visa Extension

When you arrive at the port of entry in Canada, a Canada Border Services Officer (BSO) will stamp your passport or travel document and record the date by which you must leave Canada. The BSO will also note any terms and conditions related to your visit. There may be times you wish to extend your visitor status or change the conditions of your visit.

With a work permit or study permit you can also apply in Canada to extend your status.

If you decide you want to stay longer, you can apply for an extension. You must send your application to extend your stay at least 30 days before your Temporary Resident Visa expires. If you stay longer than you are allowed by your visa, you will lose your temporary resident status and you could be asked to leave Canada. You have 90 days to make a new application after your status expires to make a new application with in Canada as long as you have a reason to do so.

If your temporary resident visa expires after you have submitted your application for an extension of your authorization to remain in Canada, you will be considered in status as a temporary resident until a decision is made on the application. This is known as an Implied Status.

You must apply to extend your stay if you want to:

  • visit, study or work longer in Canada
  • change the type of your permit (for example, from studying to working in Canada) or
  • change the conditions of your stay (for example, if you are studying or working in Canada, and you want to change schools or jobs)
  • Pay the fee to Citizenship and Immigration Canada
  • Provide copies or relevant immigration documents to support your application

For more information register to access live support or submit a request via our contact form.